Saturday 27 February 2010

Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 review

New glass on the bag!!!

I have long been considering to get the (coveted) Nikon 14-24mm f2.8. Finally have and my only complaint is why I took so long to get it..

First impressions:
-It is super sharp from f2.8. No hype here, is deserves all merit it keeps getting from numerous reviews;
-Color and contrast are very good and artifacts are barely noticeable;
-Size is not as big it looks. It's does weight alright, but I don't feel it to be so bad as I tought. Using this on a D3, so I guess the built-in grip makes a lot of help in the weight distribution.
-The unprotected front element is as beautiful as it will get dirty..
-No filter thread is worrying for landscape. Consider the new 16-35 f2 VRII if you shoot landscape most of the time (ps: Lee are working on a custom filter holder for the 14-24mm and if you google up there are some DIY videos showing how to make one)

Enough talk, here are the first photos I got.
This is a small set of the first shots I've made with it. No post-processing in any photo. You'll see 100% crops after each photo, I tried to crop on focus-point as much as I could remember.

View in fullscreen and have the info displaying to see some of my comments.


No comments: