Wednesday 11 February 2009

Lightroom 2 vs Aperture 2

During the weekend I decided it was fair to give Lightroom2 (LR2) a try, an leave Aperture2 (AP2) out-of-focus!
Processing 632 Raw from the wedding shoot in Trim files was a breeze!

Here's my 30sec conclusion:
After forgetting AP2 keyboard short-cuts I started to explore LR2 and slowly became overwhelmed by the LR2 raw engine.
I really think the defaults for the Nikon D3 and Canon 30D are better comparing to AP2.
Another winner from LR2 are the localized adjustments.. it just works and makes you look at more photos, sparkling your creativity. I never liked how AP2 dodge&burn tool works, creating new files. Also liked the snapshot concept as opposed to  versions in AP2.
The gallery creation tools in AP2 are a bit old fashioned.. they work fine, but not what I was looking for.
In the stability side.. AP2 rarely crashes. LR2 crashed more. The good side for LR2 is the speed at which the app becomes available after you open it, and the crashes never made me lose work.. I guess luck was on my side.

Let me know if you have tried them both and what is your assessment.

No comments: